Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:12 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Milling just the given faces, is it possible?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:01 am 

Sorry for an admittedly silly question (from a total newb in FeatureCAM): is it possible to mill only the red faces in the picture below?

I am trying to make a mold for a vacuum bagged composite part (cowl for a scratch built RC plane) but I can't figure out how...
I already milled the top and the front faces and only need to mill the two red pockets. If I add the top face, FeatureCAM machines it as well as all 4 side faces, which I want to avoid. The size of the blank matches the size of the part.

There must be a trick how to do that, but I can't seem to figure this out...

Thenk you,
Boris

Attachments:
mill.jpg
mill.jpg [ 45.67 KiB | Viewed 1736 times ]

Post subject: Re: Milling just the given faces, is it possible?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:33 pm 

yes its possible, just need to select the rest of the faces in the CHECK surface tab in the surface milling properties
add all the other surfaces to the check so that it doesn't attempt to cut any area other than those selected in the part surfaces tab

and go from there

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:23 am 

just put a negative number for the start z and set your stock overcut at 90%, and it should just work on the areas below zero. That is one way that I do very similar projects, you can also create curves from the edges of the cavities, and use spiral with those curves as the curves for boundries. Either of them will work, just depends on your preferences

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:09 pm 

I have issues with this as well, with the only solution being to use check surfaces. This is cumbersome on parts with many surfaces

If I am using a solid as the stock in the exact condition it would be in before milling, why doesn't FeatureCAM recognize what to avoid based on the stock solid? Why doesn't it mill only the surfaces I've told it to mill?

I'd post an example picture, but apparently new users can't have URLs in their posts. :?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]