Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:43 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Engraving not possible?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:50 am 

I am new to FeatureCAM and would like to engrave. However, there is no way to do this so far as I see. I was taught in training to use the "groove" option, but that simply creates a bunch of random strange looking holes. I have spent hours on this, which is really quite funny considering I could just open up my previous (cheaper) software and do this in about 3 minutes. Why isn't this possible?

To clarify, I have read EVERY SINGLE thread on the forum related to engraving AND I have read every single instance of this subject in the "help" area of the software. I have also tried to create the text several other ways with no success including; boss, pocket and side. I've used every variation of closed and open curves I can come up with and yet it still does not produce the text.

In my other software, there is an "engrave" feature that simply allows the tool path to duplicate the lines and curves with multiple passes quickly and logically. And for closed text curves, there is an "offset" with "inside" and "outside" options that make this simple. Also, the previous software will quickly find a simple tool path to "pocket" closed text. FC failed at all of these.

Does anyone have any ideas that are not already listed on this forum? I have been milling intricate text and graphics for 8 years with simple software and am a bit shocked that FC leaves me hanging on something so incredibly simple.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration showing me the ropes. I'm either missing something really obvious or will be using the old software.

Jason

Post subject: Re: Engraving not possible?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:42 am 

You need to send an attachment with what you are trying to do. Engraving is simple with FC so I am at a loos as to what your problem could be. Sending your FC file would be the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:45 pm 

I resolved the problem. FC couldn't cut it for whatever reason. I've learned two things 1) FC would rather have you create new text curves on the part rather than importing them from a solidworks file and 2) when importing, it is most consistent to create the operation while selecting only one of the curves, then add the other text curves after setup.

Like I said, I'm learning. My old software would do this in seconds so I will likely continue these operations the faster way. FC nearly freezes when thinking about processing more than one word at a time and I'm cutting paragraphs!

Thanks for your reply,
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hi..

I think your best option would be to ask your dealer to show you how this is done. It should be easy enough.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:38 pm 

I have never seen a problem like this i've been engraving for several years with FC...all u have to do is create the text in curve wizard then in the groove feature option select the tool u want to use, set the depth and width...really simple. If you r trying to follow the solid model by selecting the text it will be much harder...u can position and size the text all in the curve wizard.

curves-curve wizard-other methods-text

]^^^^^^^^^^the path^^^^^^^^^^

You can change the font in there as well...hope this helps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:41 pm 

Well, even with simple text the way you are stating (which is exactly the same as the book, training and everyone else says to do it), the groove operation creates several groove circle tool paths of varying size. I know you are all saying it works, but clearly it doesn't. I would love to say different! After all, I have work to do and would rather get it done than talk about a simple operation.

The real challenge lies in the fact that I do not use simple text. So what I am engraving cannot be designed using the curve wizard feature. It is usually a set of carefully designed closed curves that have no openings or intersections. I'm not new to software like FC. It is more likely that FC is simply new to the concept of artistic engraving techniques or they were left out to hold the value of artcam. If that's the case, then great! I had already planned on purchasing artcam in the next year so this would be ideal.

BUT if there IS a way to engrave custom curves in FC quickly and easily, as has been asserted, then I WANT TO KNOW HOW ;)

I'm running 8gb of ram, moving up to 16gb in a few days. Maybe that's the problem? I'm open to all suggestions, but telling me the book is correct doesn't help. The book is missing the point.

Thanks again to anyone reading,
Jason

ps...if there is a way to post a screen shot on here, I'll happily post a pic of what is happening.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:47 pm 

You might be able to use the project vertical surfaces to pull the font out of your solid so you could change it to a curve....also make sure that the ramping angle is set to zero so the tool goes right to work without any bs movements. Thats all i got....good luck my man.

To post an image here you will probably need a host to give u the html code...photobucket, ect, ect.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:00 am 

An update to how I resolved my previously stated issues...

I have learned the hard way that featurecam is very good with surfaces and solids, not curves. The moral of the story is to design everything without the use of curves. Making this one simple change in my designs resolved all issues. Coming from previous software (older technology), designing in solids 100% of the time didn't make sense. Now I get it, no curves ;)

Now the real challenge will be learning how to create much of the custom artistic graphics and text in solid form over unusual surfaces in Rhino!

Thanks again for your input,
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:21 pm 

Not sure what problems you were having - I use FC to engrave all the time, and the only time I ever had problems was with circular interpolation - there was a bulletin a while back. Some posts would get all kinds of confused with G2 and G3 on a small diameter and give you a circle, say, at the end of a "1" or something.

I do all kinds of engraving - part marking and logos in dies and have never had a problem. I have also imported DXF files generated through "IMG2CAD" software and engraved some VERY complex stuff for -ahem- "government jobs" and never had an issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:27 am 

Some of the issues may be the font you select when creating the curve. I use Machine tool Gothic, we do a lot of simple single line engraving. Then I select a 15 degree engraving tool. This creates crisp fine lines. With these options I then use simple groove and the finished product comes out quite nicely.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:46 pm 

Clearly, I am producing much more complicated text than "simple engraving" which likely the reason you guys don't have troubles. Do you offer engraving over any surface using any font? My company does offer these options so I cannot opt for one "single line" font that looks dull in comparison to the thousands of available options. I have gone back to the older software as it was better in the long run. I wish FC could be more flexible in this regard.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:55 pm 

We have done some "art work" with FC and it always comes down to the size of your part, tool selection and setovers especially if you are using a solid and 3D verses sides and pockets. Luckily we were doing metal so we could bead blast the background and polish the tops. I know it doesn't help you question but it can be done with some tinkering and it gets easier.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:18 pm 

I think your best option would be to ask your dealer to show you how this is done. It should be easy enough.....

Thank you
Bizworldusa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:20 am 

I resolved the problem. FC couldn't cut it for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:06 pm 

it is most consistent to create the operation while selecting only one of the curves, then add the other text curves after setup.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]