Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:43 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: NT Spiral and HSM options
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:04 am 

Does anyone have a good understanding of what HSM max tool overload %, HSM profile corner %, and HSM smoothing allowance % actually do? These are under the Milling tab , and can can be used when you select NT Spiral as the stepover type in the Strategy tab. Our Featurecam dealer sent me a file using this when I needed help with a roughing program and it works great. The problem is I can't get an answer for what the different HSM values actually do. He said he just changes the numbers until he gets good results, but that Delcam did not give any documentation on these values. Maybe I ask too much, but I like to know what the functions do. When you select the Help button it gives a brief description, but nothing on how to use them. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: NT Spiral and HSM options
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:12 am 

HSM max tool overload % - This attribute instigates trochoidal machining for NT Spiral and NT Continuous Spiral toolpaths. As the tool gets towards overload, FeatureCAM automatically puts in a trochoidal path to take away the overload.

HSM profile corner % - This attribute applies to NT Spiral, NT Continuous Spiral, and NT Zigzag toolpaths. This allows the arc fitting of profile to avoid sharp changes in direction in internal corners.

HSM smoothing allowance % - This attribute applies to NT Spiral and NT Continuous Spiral toolpaths. This replaces the standard offset with a smoother one that can achieve higher feed rates.

Sharp rounded corners replace sharp corners.
The stepover is changed from a fixed to a variable distance. The percentage defines the maximum deviation from the specified stepover. The maximum percentage is 40% of stepover. So, if you have a 10 mm stepover the maximum deviation from the original to the smoothed offset is 4 mm.

Post subject: Re: NT Spiral and HSM options
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:49 pm 

Great info, thanks!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]