Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:48 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mill Cam Slot
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:50 am 

Good morning,
Has anyone had experience milling a cam slot around an axis? This should be pretty common to those in the field of weapons manufacturing, as this is what I am attempting to do. I have a solid with a slot that is drawn around an axis, and I am trying to create a groove feature using the wrap around x axis method. The problem is, I cannot figure out exactly where my curve needs to start and end. I did this once in the past (cam3 png), but that one was much easier since it was two simple straight lines. My method of making it work is to manipulate the curve until part compare matches the solid in the simulation results. There must be a correct way to draw the curve using actual part dimensions, though I am yet to figure that out. Any suggestions? Even better would be milling this as a lot so I can actually cut around the whole feature, since the engineer wants a 32 finish. At this point if I can just get it cut I'd be happy. Thanks.

Attachments:
cam.PNG
cam.PNG [ 9.28 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]
cam2.PNG
cam2.PNG [ 5.4 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]
cam3.PNG
cam3.PNG [ 4.75 KiB | Viewed 622 times ]

Post subject: Re: Mill Cam Slot
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:45 am 

This is what I would try.
Curve from surface - surface edges. Then curve from curve - unwrap curve.

Post subject: Re: Mill Cam Slot
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:00 pm 

That actually worked pretty well. Now I'll just have to mess with it to get the finish and tolerance I need. Thanks for the tip.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]