Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:12 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Problem with max toll diameter
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:14 pm 

Hi,

I get a warning: 'toll diameter greater than max tool diameter'. I can't use any tool with diameter biger than 6 mm (max toll diameter) which is radiculus. If I ignore the warning and run the program on the machine it seems to stopping the machine wyth similar information: ''diameter too big"

Can't find any settings for that max tool diameter, it has to be associated with something somewhere but I dont now what and where.

Did anybody encounter something like that?

Thanks for your help.

Post subject: Re: Problem with max toll diameter
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:21 pm 

what kind of program are you running? the only time I have see a message like that is when pick a tool that is physically too big to cut the feature I am trying for, like attempting to use a 1/2" tool in a 1/4" slot....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:39 pm 

It could have something to do with Cutter Comp if you are using Part Line Programming. If you have a tool that is larger than a radius on the part and you are using Part Line, it will fault out at the machine.

The other "too big" message might just be that the tool is larger than a radius in the feature profile. (or you could have a sharp corner in the profile) It should let you use the tool and just warn you that it is too large to cut the profile completely.

Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:41 pm 

I have noticed it as well....I cant find a way to work arond it either. You need at least .02 per side to use a tool no matter if it fits inside or not. I used to take the finish per side to like .0005 when this was a problem and it would work..now it doesn't matter at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:23 pm 

I have ran into this as well. The only way I get around it is turn the comp off in FC then repost and run. If the dimension is off then I cheat the tool diameter then post again. I know this is a PITA but you have to do what ever it takes.

As far as Legions problem, I use .002 finish all the time when doing narrow slots. I change my leave amount in the feature attributes not the main attributes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:03 am 

I figured it out. You need to set your Toolpath corner percentage to "O" in your finish tool milling tab. Mine was at 15%. Change it in your config. so it never happens again.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:07 pm 

good info, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:02 am 

Hello,

I have a quick question regarding the max. tool diameter for an umbrella style changer on a Haas VF-2. The book says, 3.5"/ NA to adj. empty. Does this mean i can't increase my tool dia. by leaving the (2) adjacent slots open? I am trying to use a boring head for a 90 mm hole (3.54").

Thanks
Beth McClure

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:59 pm 

You gain more clearance by having the adjacent pockets empty, but you're still limited by the gap between the tools in the changer and the sheet metal cover around the spindle.

For asymmetric tools like a boring bar it helps to clock the longer side towards the center of the turret.

It's possible to use an M39 to rotate the turret. That allows you to get the large diameter tools away from the spindle housing when they are not in use. But I would not recommend that unless you're very confident in the skills of your operators because it’s a crash waiting to happen. Personally, the only time that I’ve programmed M39 is when I’ve had parts that were taller than would otherwise have fit on the machine.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]