Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:43 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Surface milling Z level finish
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:59 pm 

We have encountered a curiosity when doing Z level finishing. The machine is a DMG DMU 50 with Heidenhain 530 control. Finishing tool is 0.5in. ball mill.

When we do the Z level finish with the cusp height set to 0.001, the part is cut properly except for certain passes where the cutter seems to dig in a little deeper for some portion of the pass around the part. Also, the pattern of the gouging looked random. We thought there might be something wrong with the machine/tool holder, etc. so we ran another part to see if the gouges showed in the same location or were, indeed, random. Turned out the deeper cuts showed up in exactly the same locations - that led us to suspect the code.

We changed the cusp height to 0.0005 and ran another part - no gouges, looks beautiful :shock: - just takes a heck of a lot longer to machine. Which brings me to my question. Have any of you seen this sort of behavior? And, if so, have you identified a cause? We can only speculate at this point about tolerances for surfaces and the like, but it doesn't seem to make sense that adjusting the cusp height should dramatically alter the results beyond just the coarseness of the finish. TIA for any info.

Fred

Post subject: Re: Surface milling Z level finish
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:15 pm 

If I tighten up the tolerance to .0002 it usually takes care of this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:43 am 

I have had the same problem. I will try your suggestion and tighten up the tolerance.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:41 pm 

allez,

Thanks for the info. Indeed, changing the tolerance as you advised cleared up the gouging problems with the larger cusp height. Appreciate your response.

Fred

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:52 pm 

My pleasure Fred, glad I could help :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]