Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:11 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Select two bodies as stock solids
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:57 pm 

Hello All,
After modeling a fixture that secures two parts to be machined, one on the 0 degree face and one on the 180 degree face, I imported the entire setup in featurecam to try and create the machining program. I did it this way to save time on having to "patch" programs together and also so I could get my rapid heights correct and have my tool paths clear the clamps and other fixture features to avoid crashes.

I have run into MANY difficulties trying to create the program in this manner. I believe a lot of the issues I am having stem from not knowing how to select multiple bodies as my stock. Ideally I could have a different stock feature for each setup; in this case I have two positions, each requiring its own stock solid.

How I am getting around it is I have selected the model on the first position as my stock and simply selected the second model as a "clamp" feature so that it will remain visible during the simulation. Also by selecting it as a clamp device any machining done to it shows up in pink which is the default color for crashing, haha, so im actually checking my machining by viewing where the program tells me I am crashing.

Does anyone know of a way to select two stock models or have a clever solution?

Thank you

Post subject: Re: Select two bodies as stock solids
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:05 pm 

I use the "Combine Solids", and then select this as my stock model.
Attachment:
2015-12-15_0601.png
2015-12-15_0601.png [ 124.77 KiB | Viewed 2808 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:35 am 

Allez,
This is pretty interesting, does this work if the bodies are not in contact with one another? When I get to work I will post a pic of a typical setup. Typically, we have a standard looking tombstone with a component on either side of the tombstone which we refer to as positions 1 and 2, each of which require machining. Would your solution allow me to use a stock model on each position? If so, that would be perfect. I will check tomorrow morning.

Thank you for your response!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:51 pm 

Yes, it works exactly as you have described.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:42 pm 

Attachment:
2015-12-16_0741.png
2015-12-16_0741.png [ 85.75 KiB | Viewed 2732 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:25 pm 

Attachment:
combined solids.png
combined solids.png [ 100.55 KiB | Viewed 2736 times ]

Allez, you Sir, are a gem! I have so many freaking questions. I am definitely getting better, my tool paths are looking crisper and the overall programs are becoming pretty nice but I know there is a lot of room for optimization.

Thank you again!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:07 pm 

Allez,
Perhaps you can answer another question.

I see you also have a fixture imported into featurecam; could you possibly explain your process for importing the entire assembly.

Ill tell you why I am asking and what problems I am experiencing. I open a cast and machined customer model into solidworks and design a fixture around the component. Once I have a completed assembly I then import that entire assembly into featurecam (again, no training I am just trying to get by). I align my fixture with the UCS and make sure my directions are correct, no issues.

My biggest issue is once my assembly is imported my featurecam runs veru slow because there now exists hundreds of solid bodies. I have watched videos on youtube and I see people turning "fixture layers" on and off but I have no idea how to do this or if I should be doing this.

How, sir, do you work with your fixture once you have it in featurecam?

I appreciate the help more than you know!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:51 pm 

I have the same issues. What I do is in solidworks I suppress/hide all of the components that I do not need in FC. These components are ignored when you import into FC.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:52 pm 

I also have 32 gigs of ram. The more ram the better off you will be.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:44 pm 

Well, I can request more gigs but for now the suppressing should definitely help.

Thanks again for all of your help.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:49 am 

To test this, I opened a brand-new MC file and imported two different solid bodies. It DOES let me select one of them as the stock. I am able to define a cutter path and see it cut in the verify screen. The trick seems to be that I MUST do this first thing as I create the file and not do a toolpath preview until I've defined the solid as my stock.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]