Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:12 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Need help with milling a slot with back corner rounding mill
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:31 pm 

Here's my problem. I need to drop a back corner rounding endmill through a slot, and corner round the slot either while rotating with the fourth axis, or, simply using the xyz moves to complete it.
The dilemma I am facing is, I cannot seem to bring the tool into the program even though I have created a solid of it, but there is no option to paste it in the tool dialogue. Also, I am not sure what feature I would use to perform this operation. I tried surface milling, but I cannot get the tool geometry to be recognized by FCAM.

I found in the tool crib, some corner rounding tools, but they are just the standard type, not back corner rounding endmills.

Any tips, or help would be greatly appreciated.

I am posting some images of what needs to be done.

Attachment:
File comment: Front view with tool shown.
001.jpg
001.jpg [ 20.13 KiB | Viewed 1855 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Top view with port and tool shown
002.jpg
002.jpg [ 13.28 KiB | Viewed 1851 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Inside of the cavity with the port corner rounded surface. This is what needs to be cut.
003.jpg
003.jpg [ 12.48 KiB | Viewed 1858 times ]

Post subject: Re: Need help with milling a slot with back corner rounding mill
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:50 pm 

You may need to create a form tool. There is a description of how to do this under Help/ Contents/ creating a form tool. Also, there is a video tutorial: http://www.delcam.com/software/featurecam/techtips/

An inside/outside groove feature might do the trick for the back corner rounding.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:16 pm 

Well, thank you for the advice, but basically, what you see in the pics that I posted, that is a tool I created for FeatureCAM, the only problem is, it will not allow me to set any type of programming point, or for that matter, does not recognize it as a tool. In my mind, the programming point would be on the top of the cutters surface (the surface that makes the contact with the part) and when I input the geometrical parameters of the tool, or paste the curve describing the shape, it doesn't even look like a tool. One thing I do not understand is, when I go into "tool manager," there is a drop down for "tool group," and it offers a lot of tools like lollipops, and T-slot cutters, but when writing a program, and choosing a tool, those tools are not available in that drop down.

I work in a Physics and Astronomy machine shop, and quite often I have a need to create form tools, or I need to define tool geometry in the program so that I may see in the simulation what will happen. This is the first time in 16 years of using FeatureCAM that I have run into a brick wall. I am kind of pondering the fact that I will probably just have to sit down and trig it all out, and manually program this op using G Code inputs, and fourth axis movement, but the thing that worries me is not being able to simulate it before I run it.

Once again, thank you for the response, and have a very pleasant day. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:49 pm 

I have had the same problem when creating any type of cutter that cuts on the back side of the tool. I have tied to make both dovetail cutters and back corner rounding tools and have had no luck at all. these are tools I use all the time and I just add that part of the program by hand. I run into problems all the time with inside profiles. wish they would include some of these types of cutters in there library.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]