Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:15 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: 2.5D & 3D milling of solid models
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:37 pm 

Sorry for the post if this has been answered before.

I have a throttle body that I have modeled in SW, then importeted into FC.

The machining is primarily 2.5D, Pockets, Bosses and holes. There is one section that will require a surfacing operation.
My question is, what is the best strategy for accomplishing this.
I have tried:
1. Import and surface the whole solid, this is time consuming and cumbersome. The finish product is not as clean as it should be.
2. Next, I tried the AFR which produced something like 20 features. I feel that this part can be accomplished in 6-8 features.
3. Finally I have yet to try but I am fearful this may be what it comes to, re-draw all the geometry in order to apply the appropriate features

Maybe its just me, but it seems counter productive to build a solid model of a part if you can not have control over how to machine it.
It seems like there should be a method to extrapilate geometry or curves from the solid model, but I am having a hard time finding it. I like AFR, but I would really like to have more control over the features after they are recognized and added to the machining tree. (like removing or changing)

Just some insight on how others tackle this type of machining.
Sorry for the long explination, and please don't laugh if this is an elementry question. :oops:

Post subject: Re: 2.5D & 3D milling of solid models
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:31 pm 

It's hard to say without seeing the model, but it sounds like you would be much better off staying away from AFR and creating individual 2.5D features with Feature Recognition (IFR) and then only surface mill where necessary. This will give you the best of both worlds - you can utilize your model, but have much more control to make simple, efficient toolpath.

My $.02 :)

Marshall

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:42 pm 

Marshall wrote:
It's hard to say without seeing the model, but it sounds like you would be much better off staying away from AFR and creating individual 2.5D features with Feature Recognition (IFR) and then only surface mill where necessary. This will give you the best of both worlds - you can utilize your model, but have much more control to make simple, efficient toolpath.

My $.02 :)

Marshall

Marshall-

I did as you suggested and this work very well. It didnt seem like a work around, I hate feeling like I am working around a potentially better solution.
Thanks for the input. I will post a shot of the model for reference if someone comes across this in a search.

Anthony

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:36 pm 

Going through the tutorials again might help you understand which areas are best machined with certain feature types. Remember the AFR doesn't see pockets or bosses, only sides. so you'll have to do some geometry creation to get what you want.

I've found it helpful on some parts to do the AFR to let FC construct a bunch of curves then go back and use those curves to create pocket and boss features.

I agree that it sounds like you'll want to use pocket and boss features on the simple geometric shapes for most of the part and surface machine just the areas that are not simple.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]