Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:44 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mazak vs Okuma Machining Centers
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:35 pm 

I am thinking about purchasing a new machining center. I am talking with both manufactures and impressed with both, machines are similar Okuma MCV 4020 and Mazak VCN 510C. We are a growing shop that has been using two Fadal VCM's ,They were fine for us to get where we are but the increase in work load and killer prices on new machines, its time. We do mostly complex aluminum parts that end up being short run jobs. We do almost all our programing on featurecam.
I know both of theses companies have good reputations and promise the best service. But I would like to here from users and see what you think. Price does play some in this , the Mazak is about 30K less :?

Post subject: Re: Mazak vs Okuma Machining Centers
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:14 pm 

I have been programming and operating Mazaks for 21 years. I can't speak for Okumas however I do like the Mazaks. We have 9 Mazaks three of which are Horizontals. We have several m-32's from back in the early 1990's to our most recant 2000 FH880 fusion 640. We run most machines 3 shifts 5 day a week. All the Mazaks we have have held up well. I program using both Mazatrol on the machine and Griffo brothers offline. Mazatrol is very handy for simple 2 d work. I started using FeatureCam recently because we wanted to get into 3d profile milling. I don't know if I helped you at all but good luck with your decision.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:14 am 

Well I kinda straddle the fence on this.

I hated Okuma when I was first involved with them about 15 years ago.
But I have changed my opinion 180 degrees, I now love em.
Reasons are:
1. For machines that run 24/7 with hardly any maintenance and NO preventive maintenance, They are built well. We have fewer problems with this brand than most brands.
2. The controls are very similar between the different versions, So you don't have to retrain operators.
3. Programs that run on the older controls will ALWAYS run of the newer controls with NO modification. Going from newer to older is also possible if you remove or modify the certain things the older machine don't have and won't understand. IE: High Pressure Coolant, Through Tool Coolant, Part Probing, ect.
4. The machines are Vanilla or fairly simple, And that's a BIG Plus now days. Unlike some machines where special training and particular steps must be used and remembered.
There is much more but that's the highlights in my opinion.

Now Mazaks,
We still have an over 20 years old Mazak Mill with a fanuc control chugging along and still making quality parts. The pallet changer died but the machine still runs and milling cast iron dry.
We have junked (Finally) 8 Mazak T4 Lathes.
We still have a couple of T2's and junked a couple with robots.
We have two New Mazak Lathes with the Fusion 640T controls that are nice.
But these machine run in Mazatrol and must be programmed at the control.
Then when the job finally hits the machine and the setup man loads tools and material, The programmer is there to prove out the job. Then one more time to interrupt production to optimize the program.
We too had Griffo Brothers, But someone stole the dongle and the replacement cost was the same as buying a new seat. So I bought the Solution Ware software that turns my desktop in the control. Parts of it are great, Some not so good.

So at this point in life I choose Vanilla over special.
Worth a few bucks in my opinion in the long run.

Good Luck with either

Mohawk

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:13 pm 

I too have been running Mazak VMCs and turning centers for over 20 years, and although I love operating the Mazak machines, I absolutely detest programming at the control. At our company we use Griffo Bros. Camlink Software, for Mazatrol, imbedded in Solidworks for the 2D programming and HSMorks imbedded in Solidworks for the complex 3D toolpaths. This is a combination of software and CNC machine that I would put up against any other combination in the industry. 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:00 pm 

I too have been running Mazak VMCs and turning centers for more than 20 years. I also have a half dozen or so years on Fanuc control machines and there is no comparison between the controls, Mazak wins hands down. As much as I like using the Mazaks, I detest programming on the shop floor. To avoid the hassles and potential mistakes involved in shop floor programming, we are using Griffo Bros. Camlink for Mazatrol, imbedded in Solidworks, for our 2D Mazatrol programming and HSMWorks, imbedded in Solidworks, for our complex 3D toolpaths. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:07 pm 

Very odd that my initial post didn't show up, so the next day I wrote another post. Now, a week later, both posts show up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:13 pm 

Hello,

I've had the luxury of running both those machines. The Okuma i would say is faster in repositioning, Had 15K spindle, less maintenance. Only problem is that you can't call T0 like you can on a mazak to keep the tool in the tool changer and no tool in the spindle when shutting down. The Mazak i run now is a 510C with pallet changer and 12k spindle.Very nice machine. We've Problems with pallet changer. Technical support for mazak sucks, because the people you talk to are very rude. My opinion i would get an okuma, better built probably last you longer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:08 pm 

We just purchased a VCN410B with a 4th axis back in January. So far I like it pretty good. The tool change is super quick and so are the rapids.
We have decreased cycle times on every job we move to that machine. I don't know anything about or didn't even look at Okuma
machines. We already had two Mazak turning centers so we wanted to try a milling machine.Good luck with your decision.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:03 am 

I know this is sort of an old post but I just joined tonight. I run an Okuma V4020 with a PC next to it, hard wired in. In a shop of about 30 machines 5 okuma's (2 - V4020) most of the other machines are Mazak's. We run a little of everything 4150, Stainless, CRS but mostly Alum. Quantities vary but mostly ones and twos. We had spindle problems with the Mazak's running high RPM's for long periods but no problems with the Okuma's so far. My company only gave me an old PC out of engineering (reject) and Featurecam 2.5. I would suggest the fastest PC you can swing and all the memory you can stuff it to it and Featurecam 3D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:27 pm 

Check Machintoollist if you want to check some machining centers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:05 am 

MachiningWeasel wrote:
Hello,

I've had the luxury of running both those machines. The Okuma i would say is faster in repositioning, Had 15K spindle, less maintenance. Only problem is that you can't call T0 like you can on a mazak to keep the tool in the tool changer and no tool in the spindle when shutting down. The Mazak i run now is a 510C with pallet changer and 12k spindle.Very nice machine. We've Problems with pallet changer. Technical support for mazak sucks, because the people you talk to are very rude. My opinion i would get an okuma, better built probably last you longer.

I know this is an old thread, but you can call T0 on an Okuma so it puts the tool away. You just have to have your G111 toolchange macro set up right. I use the same macro for two verticals and one horizontal. I run the spindle at 250 rpm for about 30 min at the end of the day. I call G111 T0 at the end of the program and the machine shuts it self off after 30min as long as I remember to hit the auto shutoff button.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]