Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:43 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Support for Necked End Mills
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:59 pm 

Has anyone ever requested (or wanted) support for "Necked End Mills". If you ever got a simulation crash because you were milling deeper than the flute length of the end mill, you know why this would be a good request. I know this can be done by drawing the profile (like a form tool), but necked tools are becoming more common and it would be great to define them with standard parameters like any other end mill. All you would need to add is a "Necked" Check Box and a "Reach" parameter. You wouldn't even need a neck diameter parameter because they are all pretty much standard at 96% of cut diameter.

Post subject: Re: Support for Necked End Mills
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:44 am 

I'm not sure if I understand all of your problem(s) about the necked tool simulation but have you tried to modify the dimensions of your tool properties?
Enter the length of cut at CUTTER LENGHT, use the EXPOSED LENGTH for the total extension of the tool in front of the chuck/holder and set the SHANK DIAMETER to 96% of the DIAMETER of your tool. I know it's a bit of cheating since your shank is the same diameter (or larger) than the tool but......"WORK-AROUNDS" make the world go "round" - at least in FeatureCAM :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]