Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mold Design
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:55 pm 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

I posted on the PowerSHAPE board but I think maybe this will get more attention here. In the mold design software can you change the part, and have it update the core and cavity blocks or do you have to recreate them?

577 Grable Street
Rockford, IL 61109
Phone: (815)226-0291 Ext. 32

Post subject: Re: Mold Design
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:42 pm 
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Chuck,
The moldmaker side of PowerSHAPE won't automatically update your dies. You would have to remodel the dies using the standard modeling functions in powershape. Where moldmaker comes in very handy is for regenerating all the hole features etc that are found in the mold ie. ej pin holes, tappings, c/bores etc. Powerfeatures work really well, once you get the knack of using / creating them. I find that, in order to feel like you're making good progress with a job in moldmaker, you need to have a pretty good start point for your design. Creating a few sections through the job, in wireframe, will help you visualise what you're going to end up with before you commit yourself to modeling anything up.

Hope this helps,

Mick.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:26 pm 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

Mick,
This does help, but I would say that maybe this could be a deal breaker for my company to purchase the product. Most mold design softwares can regenerate, or rebuild when things are updated or changed. If you change shrink from 0.004 per inch to 0.008, and now need to rebuild entire core and cavities, this could be problematic. Adding a boss, radius, rib, or windage to the part is common place for some of our customers and not being able to change the part and have it rebuild the assembly seems like maybe Delcam missed an important mold design function.

577 Grable Street
Rockford, IL 61109
Phone: (815)226-0291 Ext. 32

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Chuck

There are two main stages in tool design. Step 1 is to split the part into the separate mould pieces - cavity, core, side cores etc. Step 2 is to add the rest - the main plates, ejectors, mechanisms, cooling etc. In Toolmaker, updating everything created at Step 2 is pretty much automatic. So, if you change the insert geometry, the ejector pins and so on will automatically retrim. The tricky part can be Step 1. If you make a fairly simple change, such as moving a rib or other feature, without changing the split faces, then all will be well. So, taking your example of making a part from a different material with different shrinkage, that should net be a big issue. If, however, the split faces change, or are especially complex, you may need to re-create them manually. But once the inserts are sorted, the rest of the process will happen automatically, including updating any drawings and so on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:22 pm 
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Folks,
Just thinking back to this thread. I'm on a job that's got a core, a cavity, about a dozen shaped-pad ejectors, 7 lifters and 3 sidecores. Our customer came along with a shrinkage change request. So this means that I have to manually change the shrinkage on each of these parts. As it turns out, it often isn't difficult to do this manually. Also, I really wouldn't want the software to do this fully automatically. I'd always have something niggling away in my mind, wondering if something has changed that I wasn't expecting. However, I do believe that the software should be able to detect that, if I change the shrinkage on a mold, it should be able to warn me that an insert-lifter-sidecore-whatever needs to be updated, even if the software can't actually perform the update. It's way too easy to forget to change the shrinkage on an insert.

Cheers,

Mick.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:32 am 
Site Admin

If your model has history, and all of the cores have been extracted using Booleans, then this should all happen automatically. Can you do the usual please? Send an example through Support and get them to log it into the system.

Thanks

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]