Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Toolmaker Newbie Questions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:07 pm 
New User
New User

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to Toolmaker (been using Cimatron for the past few years) and have some probably silly questions which local support has been having trouble answering.

1) We're not using standard mold bases here, for the most part we use M.U.D. bases which aren't available in the standard library. I asked local about making a custom library for the 4 mold bases we do use and was told that there are a million little intricacies in associations which need to be met for it to work. Just changing the name of component doesn't update the associations and dependencies. For example if I want to place an ejector pin in my mold base it isn't aware of the purpose of my core plate and just blasts a clearance hole through it. Same with shcs, put one in my retainer plate and it gives me a clearance hole in my ejector plate, not a tapped hole.

2) I've been told by my co-workers that PowerSHAPE is 'history based' but all I'm seeing is a list of boolean functions in chronological order. If it is history based I should be able to look at the last several geometry creations I did and edit them as necessary.

3) Can I go back in my 'history tree' and let's say, add a rib and have the trodes I've already made automatically updated?

I've got several more smaller issues but these are the ones that are on my mind right now.

Paul

Post subject: Re: Toolmaker Newbie Questions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:07 pm 
New User
New User

And while I'm asking silly questions, why is it that when I place a shcs in a plate it leaves the head above the surface I'm placing it on? Shouldn't it recess it the head thickness below the surface?

Paul

Post subject: Re: Toolmaker Newbie Questions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:24 am 
Site Admin

PowerSHAPE provides history based solid modelling, but there is no association between the main part and any electrodes. So if you change the part the electrode will need to be modified (or re-made) manually. Seeing as by the time you get to creating electrodes the tool is virtually complete, I would imagione it would be extremely rare for a design change to come so late in the day.

History based modelling allows you to change features at any time. You can double-click on any of the features and a form (dialog) will open that contains the current values etc. which can be changed. You can also rearrange the tree if you wish, by dragging a feature from one point in the tree to another. In 2013 R2 we have introduced history rewind, which allows you to scroll back to any point in the tree, introduce a new feature, and then restore the full history.

When you position a screw, there are several possible attachment points that you can use. For example - the top face, the face where the body meets the head, the bottom face and so on. Which one is used will make a lot of difference. It sounds like the body/head attachment is being used in your example. You can change the attachment distance by finding it in the tree, and double-clicking it. Look for the 'Slave' attachment between the screw and the plate. Then simply enter a new value in the box on the toolbar.

I will try to find some detailed info on creating your own custom plates.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]