Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Power features summary form
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:07 pm 
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Folks,
The included model is an exaggeration of a point in order to make a point. It shows many identical pieces screwed onto one common base. The screws holding all the identical pieces are identical. You'll notice my repeated use of the word identcial! How come, if I select all the screws and click onto the power features summary form, even if I click the "group similar cases" button, I get about a hundred different cases. Even though the screws are identical and the things they're going through are identical, I still get loads of cases (instead of just the one I would have expected).
Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers,

Mick.

Attachments:
POWER FEATURES SUMMARY FORM.zip [380.64 KiB]
Downloaded 20 times

Post subject: Re: Power features summary form
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:29 am 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

Hi Mick,

You're not doing anything wrong.

If you see when you select the "group similar cases" you can see there are four screws in each group. (number shown in brackets)

So there are similar cases, it's just one case for each plate you have screwed to the main plate. This is how PowerSHAPE works.

If you had just two main plates with loads of screws going through that would be one case. Each additional plate you add is another case.

It's a bit annoying isn't it. But theres no way around it.. as far as I know.

Regards,

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:16 am 
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the reply. I thought that it was just the way the software works but I it was worth checking. I guess the next question is how come I can't force the software to accept that they're all the same case. For instance, if I wanted to switch off the chamfer feature (very annoying) on each of the cases in the model I posted, it'd take ages. Why is that when it's the same chamfer feature on the same screw, just in many different positions. If I right click on one of those screws and go "all instances" the software knows that they are all the same component.
I think that rather than accepting that this is just the way that the software works, we need to be saying that the software needs to be changed to work in a more user friendly way.

Cheers,

Mick.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:28 am 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

Hi Again,

There is a quicker way to turn of the chamfer power feature on all those screws..

As you said if you right click and select "all instances>modify geometry" you can access the underlying Power Feature solid in the tree and just supress the chamfer feature on that. Then when you apply the power features none of them will get the chamfer.

Regards,

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:46 pm 
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Jim,
Nice bit of lateral thinking there. The point,though, that I was making is that PowerSHAPE gathers things into more cases than it should do.

Cheers,

Mick.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]