Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Normal vector of a point
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:21 pm 
DELCAM User
DELCAM User

Hello,

There is an option within electrode wizard to create inspection points for the electrode and use these points inside PowerINSPECT or export a text file containing the points XYZ and vector directions.

However our CMM controller(Zeiss Spectrum) does not support PowerINSPECT at the moment, so I was hoping to select points from the electrode or part model and export these points to text file via macro/CSC command to create nominal points in Zeiss Calypso, but I although I can get the XYZ coordinates of the point, I can't find a way to get normal vector.

How can you get the normal vector of a point, like you do inside Electrode wizard?

Erik

Post subject: Re: Normal vector of a point
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:42 am 
Site Admin

Could you use an aligned workplane? These can be created either by pre-selecting a face of the solid, or by snapping a position. The workplane will give you the XYZ position and also the IJK of the normal.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:14 pm 
DELCAM User
DELCAM User

JonH wrote:
Could you use an aligned workplane? These can be created either by pre-selecting a face of the solid, or by snapping a position. The workplane will give you the XYZ position and also the IJK of the normal.

Yes, this would seem to work with solids, although with electrodes I have to create a copy from the electrode and convert the copy to solid. Unless there is a macro command to set inspection points for electrodes and export them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately, aligned workplanes don't work with electrodes. I will report this to development, as it looks like a bug.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:48 pm 
DELCAM User
DELCAM User

JonH wrote:
Unfortunately, aligned workplanes don't work with electrodes. I will report this to development, as it looks like a bug.

The aligned workplane does work, but the origin and vectors are given from world workplane. I can manage with the XYZ origin, but how do you get the new workplanes vector values based on the electrodes or solids workplane?

Erik

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

The workplane coordinates and axis directions will always be relative to world. At the moment, when you create an 'aligned' workplane although its origin is snapped correctly, its axes simply copy 'world'. So, you see the correct XYZ point, but the wrong vectors. You will need to manually align the workplane as you want.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:39 am 
DELCAM User
DELCAM User

Yes with electrodes aligned workplane is not working, but I was referring to solids. I can get the aligned workplane work fine with solids with the Z axis aligning to geometry, but there is no easy way to get the Z axis direction vector values from some other workplane than world?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:38 pm 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

Erik QC wrote:
Hello,

There is an option within electrode wizard to create inspection points for the electrode and use these points inside PowerINSPECT or export a text file containing the points XYZ and vector directions.

However our CMM controller(Zeiss Spectrum) does not support PowerINSPECT at the moment, so I was hoping to select points from the electrode or part model and export these points to text file via macro/CSC command to create nominal points in Zeiss Calypso, but I although I can get the XYZ coordinates of the point, I can't find a way to get normal vector.

How can you get the normal vector of a point, like you do inside Electrode wizard?

Erik

If you have the Electrode Inspection option, which leverages PowerINSPECT OMV through the Electrode wizard, you should be able to export the data as you like. As PI OMV uses Delcam Post Processor it can be configured to output the point and normal as this is used for a standard output through this probing wizard

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]