Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: waterways from power features (instead of the cooling wizard
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:18 am 
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Folks,
As you may have picked up, I'm trying my level best to get PowerSHAPE to do more of the donkeywork in mold design. One area that I find very frustrating is adding waterways. If I have a stack of plates and I want to have a run of water that goes through several plates and then back out again, the way I see it, is I can do one of the following.

1. Model all the holes in manually (which is slow at best and what happens when (not if) you want to move them around.
2. Use the cooling wizard. The problem with this is that, if you've got water going through multiple plates, you have to use the wizard the same number of times. It can't take into account the fact that it's really very common to have water going through more than one thing at a time. I'm sure that someone out there will say that I'm not doing it right but I find the cooling wizard very clunky.

Anyway, how's about this. I've included a sample model of a moving half of a mold. If you open it up, you'll see a couple of water fittings looking a bit lonely at the front of the mold. If you right click on the one on the right hand side and go "generate power features", you'll see some water drillings appear in various plates. Now, how cool (no pun intended) would it be if I could get PowerSHAPE to do this for me. It could have the sense to tap the ends of the holes 1/4 BSP or whatever and it could have the sense to put an o'ring (when they start working) in-between the plates that the water is going through. Also, many customers want to see isometric views of waterways and, with this method, you could copy the solid that makes the cooling channels and use that for you're iso drawing views.

Does anyone think this is a good idea?

Cheers,

Mick.

Attachments:
WATERWAYS FROM POWERFEATURES.zip [975.87 KiB]
Downloaded 21 times

Post subject: Re: waterways from power features (instead of the cooling wi
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:34 pm 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

Hi Mick,

Sorry must have missed your post last year. That's quite an interesting idea you had there with the power features.

How are you finding the cooling wizard now?

I think it's much better now as you can do multiple plates together.

Also if you leave the wizard and add new cooling holes manually it's able to pick those up for editing which is nice.

Even if you haven't used the wizard at all to create your water channels you can still use it to create the wireframe profiles of the water paths to create a simple iso view.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]