Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Parts lists (AKA BOM's)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:56 pm 
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Folks,
As we all know, you can't please all the people all the time. However, here at ITI we try to do things the same way every time (ala standardisation). So, when we create a parts list, we put things in the parts list in an order that's easy to follow on the GA. This will inevitably mean that the order that PowerSHAPE wants to order the BOM doesn't match what we what. So, we still type up parts lists in the same way we did 10 years ago. I need a way to re-order the BOM so that it's in the order that I want, not the order that PowerSHAPE wants me to want. How can I do this?

Cheers,

mick.

Post subject: Re: Parts lists (AKA BOM's)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:34 am 
DELCAM Staff
DELCAM Staff

Hi Mick,

You can perform some basic ordering by clicking on the column headings in the BOM, eg; click on "Description" to list all the standard components first in alphabetical order.

You could also export to Excel to use more advanced sorting tools (Data > Sort and Data > Filter).

We can open a wish for more ordering methods in PowerSHAPE, can you provide some example BOMs and how you want to be able to define the order?

Thanks,
Ian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:23 pm 
DELCAM User
DELCAM User

Hi
I think a good way that would suit most users needs in BOM's parts order would be if you could number the parts in your prefered order on the tree window after grouping the repeat parts of the mould design.
then the number would appear as the item number and balloon number,
what do you guy + gals think ?
George

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:42 pm 
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi George,
I think that would be a better solution than what we have at the moment. Also,for people coming from a Solidworks background, this would be very familiar. I guess the only problem, for me at any rate, with this method is that until I've ballooned my GA, I'm not sure what order I want them to be in. I know that'll sound silly but here's the explanation.
The guys on the shopfloor like us to balloon things so that they're quick and easy to follow. So, if I had a section through my mold in a view, I'd start ballooning at item No 1 and work my way, clockwise, around that section. That way, you'd find that item 2 was right next to item 1 and item 3 is right next to item 2 and so on. This makes following the GA and matching it up to a BOM very easy. However, until you've actually ballooned that section, you don't really know what order your BOM will take. This is why I was asking if it was possible to move stuff up & down a BOM. So, what I'd really like to be able to do is balloon my GA as I want to do. Then I could have PowerSHAPE generate a BOM that was in the order of the balloons I just created.

Cheers,

Mick.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]