Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ballooning a GA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:09 pm 
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Folks,
I've been trying to get PowerSHAPE to automatically balloon a GA and it seems like it doesn't work. Either I'm doing it wrong (completely possible), or there's something wrong in powershape. Can you give me a quick walkthrough.

Cheers,

Mick.

Post subject: Re: Ballooning a GA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:38 am 
Site Admin

See my earlier reply, Mick. I'm sure this is worth a call to Don.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:49 pm 
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Jon,
Like you said, Don was the man to talk to. The only thing is that, if you've got a very basic job, Powershape's ballooning is ugly. However, if you've got a complicated job, Powershape's ballooning is just not good enough to issue to a shopfloor. We need to come up with a method, either automatic (or more likely semi-automatic) to balloon a GA in such a way that it is legible and logically ordered. Naturally, this subject goes hand-in-hand with BOM creation (see my post on BOM's)

Cheers,

Mick.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:58 am 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

I agree with Mick on this one too.

I've used automatic ballooning before but then had to spend about an hour or so moving the end of the balloon arrows to more sensible locations manually.

I'm not sure how PowerSHAPE can be improved to do a better job though. It's very much a human touch that is needed when looking at a GA drawing and deciding where to put the arrows.

One thing that I would like added is an option to automatically put certain prefixes on particular items. e.g. if it's a screw=S, ejector pin=E, core pin=C,standard catalogue item=B, specially made item no prefix. Obviously this would need to be customisable because all companies will have there own styles but it would be a good start.

Regards,
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:42 pm 
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Jim,
Like you say, there's no way that you can expect a peice of software to do as neat a job of ballooning a GA as a human. What I think would be better is if the software knows that a certain assembly component is No 5, for instance, on you BOM, when you create a bubble and point to an edge that belongs to that item, PowerSHAPE draws a bubble and fills it with the correct part No. That way you can place your bubbles wherever you want and not have to worry about tying the numbers up to the BOM. So that'd be semi-automatic; not as quick as just letting PowerSHAPE do it on it's own but way neater.
If I was drawing a job up in 2D, I'd draw my GA, bubble it as I want to and then create my BOM in the order that I'd bubble'd it. If I could follow the same path in 3D then I think that would be ideal.

Cheers,

Mick.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]