Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Creating Custom Toolpaths
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:44 am 
New User
New User

Hi, I’ve just downloaded CSC and am having a play with it. What we are trying to do is create custom toolpaths from splines brought in from another CAD package. Do you know if this is possible? Or can you turn a list of points into a toolpath? From the documentation, it looks like you can only manipulate existing toolpaths, is that correct?

Cheers,
Steven

Post subject: Re: Creating Custom Toolpaths
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:42 pm 
New User
New User

Hi Steven,

I have found 'PMToolpathCurveProfile' class in the CSC documentation. But don't know how to build it's object (or any method to set curve) by passing spline curve.

:?

Regards,
xdpbp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:15 pm 
DELCAM Staff
DELCAM Staff

Hi Steven

The best way to achieve this at the moment is to create yourself a PowerMILL project with a curve profile toolpath and a pattern. Set everything up with all the parameters as you need them and then save the template objects out to a PTF file. Then in your application you import the PTF file at runtime and insert a file into the pattern and call Calculate() on the toolpath.

If you can turn the splines from the other CAD package into a Delcam.Geometry.Spline object then you can use this to write out a PIC file using the WriteToDUCTPictureFile() function. You can then import that PIC file into a PMPattern object with the InsertFile() function.

I hope this makes sense and helps!

Regards
Luke

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:20 am 
New User
New User

Hi Luke,
I have the same question. Do you mean there is no way to create a PMEntity (such as Toolpath, Tool..) object by Custom Software Core? I think that creating PMEntities at runtime is very useful.

Thanks,
Charlie Li

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:22 am 
New User
New User

lae wrote:
Hi Steven

The best way to achieve this at the moment is to create yourself a PowerMILL project with a curve profile toolpath and a pattern. Set everything up with all the parameters as you need them and then save the template objects out to a PTF file. Then in your application you import the PTF file at runtime and insert a file into the pattern and call Calculate() on the toolpath.

If you can turn the splines from the other CAD package into a Delcam.Geometry.Spline object then you can use this to write out a PIC file using the WriteToDUCTPictureFile() function. You can then import that PIC file into a PMPattern object with the InsertFile() function.

I hope this makes sense and helps!

Regards
Luke

Hi Luke,
I have the same question. Do you mean there is no way to create a PMEntity (such as Toolpath, Tool..) object by Custom Software Core? I think that creating PMEntities at runtime is very useful.

Thanks,
Charlie Li

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:42 am 
DELCAM Staff
DELCAM Staff

Hi Charlie

At the moment there isn't as much functionality in PowerMILL automation as there is in PowerSHAPE. You can create some entities (such as patterns) but not others (such as toolpaths). The general idea at the moment is that for toolpaths you would import a PTF file and run a macro. I know this is limiting and is something we will improve in a future version.

Luke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:03 am 
DELCAM Staff
DELCAM Staff

It is now possible to create Tools and Toolpaths in Custom Software Core 2016 which you should have received a link to download.
Alternatively you can re-register for the download at:
http://www.delcam-services.com/custom-software-core/

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]