Site Logo
Site Logo

It is currently Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: PowerSHAPE Hanging after recent update to Windows 10
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:25 pm 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

Hi,

Is anyone else experiencing PowerSHAPE hanging randomly after a recent update to Windows 10?

PowerSHAPE has become unusable on my PC today as it hangs within the first 1 or 2 minutes of use. It's only started today and I can't figure out what's causing it. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it at least 10 times, I even tried an earlier version PowerSHAPE2015 but it still hangs.

I'm sure it's not graphics card related as I can use PowerMILL no problem. As a test I opened PowerMILL open at the same time with a similar sized model in view and when PowerSHAPE stopped responding I was still able to rotate the graphics in PowerMILL. I also created roughing and finishing toolpaths so the processor was "doing some work" to rule out overheating or disk errors.

It's definitely only PowerSHAPE that's affected, all other programs on the PC run fine.

My next step will be to do a clean install of Windows 10 but I'm concerned that when Windows 10 automatically updates to whatever it downloaded today the problem will return!

Any help from users would be appreciated. I tried Delcam support but as the PC is a self build and I use a gaming card they are unable to help me diagnose what's going on.

Cheers,

Jim

Post subject: Re: PowerSHAPE Hanging after recent update to Windows 10
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:41 am 
Site Admin

I'm using win 10 here and have most of the latest updates on and are still working OK.
Is it actually crashing out, if so are you getting any *.dmp files in the temp area, if so attach one and I'll take a look for you. (may need to zip it up)

You say it's not graphics, but are you sure win 10 hasn't put a sneaky update to the card on your machine?

Maybe check when your paf runs out, PowerSHAPE may be checking for the paf, sometimes the messages for updates may cause it to hang like this too.

I hope the powershape.exe hasn't been put on a virus toxic list as that could have some effect too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:34 am 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

Hi Claire,

Thanks for the response.

Win 10 update didn't change the graphics driver as far as I know but when I first called Support they advised me to download the latest driver from NVIDIA and install it, which I have done.

This morning I opened PowerSHAPE and just left it with a blank model open and moved the mouse in a figure 8 pattern and kept an eye on the coordinates display in the status bar, it was working fine for around a minute and then suddenly stopped changing and the "Not Responding" note appeared in the top of the window.

I'm wondering if it's mouse driver related but I can't find an updated driver for the mouse.

I've also tried switching to another mouse and keyboard I had on another machine.

My PAFs fine, PowerMILL is not having any trouble so I don't think it's not PAF related, I even uninstalled my antivirus software temporarily to rule that out. Where would I find the *.dmp file, can't remember where these are stored.

Regards,

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:54 am 
Site Admin

You'll only get a dmp file if the program actually crashes, if you can run it long enough to open the command window and type
print app.paths
It will tell you where PowerSHAPE is putting it's temp files. If it is C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\Temp remember you need to turn on hidden files to browse to this location.

From what you said you could be correct about the mouse driver.
If you have an Nvidia card check the 3D settings option is set to 'Dassualt Systemes CATIA - compatible'. I did notice after one update of my machine this setting had been changed.

Could you try rolling back the Windows updates on your machine and see if it works again. We would then know the list of updates and I can check if I have that one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:12 am 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

Hi,

I have a NVIDIA Geforce 780Ti card I can't find the 3D setting that refers to 'Dassualt Systemes CATIA - compatible' in the NVIDIA control panel.

I've checked and it's not producing dmp files.

Jim.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:27 am 
Site Admin

You may not get that setting for that card, we do for the recommend Quadro cards.
I didn't think you would get a dmp file, it has to crash for it to create one.

If you think it started after the updates looks like the best option is to remove the updates.
I haven't tried this on win 10, if you can remove them one by one, that's the best option.

Before doing that you could try to create a dmp file using sysinternals.
http://www.howtogeek.com/school/sysinte ... o/lesson1/ for info about sysinternals, it's a windows tool and you should be able to select the powershape.exe and right-click and create a dmp file. We may be able to get some information from this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:38 am 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

Hi Claire,

I tried looking at the updates but it only showed one security patch. I think the update I had must have been a big "upgrade" one which overwrites all previous stuff. I forgot to mention I also had a load of file associations revert to Microsoft defaults and unwanted apps like Xbox, Weather etc. all came back which I had previously removed.

I've just rolled back to winver Windows 10 (Build 10240) and so far it's cured it.

The problem is it will eventually update again and then I'll be stuck without PowerSHAPE again.

Since rolling back when I view historical updates I can see a long list of ones that have been applied since October.

I checked the mouse driver and it's the same on this build so I don't think that's the problem either.

I'm surprised no other users have experienced problems as I'm sure a lot use the Gaming graphics cards like I do.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:55 am 
Site Admin

OK, if that was 'The Big update' that enabled you to have some colour in your programs top toolbar, and when you right click on the windows start button the menu has been upgraded to the new wide spacing style (if you can understand what I mean) then I've upgraded to that one OK. I think Microsoft called that Windows 10 pro, version 1511,10586. Since then I've had a few further updates.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:29 pm 
DELCAM Guru
DELCAM Guru

Hi Claire,

Yes that was it. Since the roll back I've managed to complete the job I was trying to do.

I'll change the graphics card in the new year to a Quadro if the problem comes back again after the update re-installs.

Thanks again,

Jim

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]